MUST-DO ACTIVITIES IN BALI: TEGENUNGAN WATERFALL
IS IT WORTH IT to visit The Tegenungan Waterfall in Bali?
Tegenungan waterfall is one of the most popular waterfalls in Bali, not only because it is the most impressive one, but also because it is the most accessible one. And yes, it’s totally worth it to pin this address on your itinerary.
Located 30 min South of Ubud, in Kemenuh Village on the Petanu River, the 25-meter-high waterfall is very powerful, especially after the rainy season. Hidden in a lush tropical jungle, the entire surroundings will leave you speechless. You can swim in the plunge pool created by the waterfall and take some great photos with all the funny message signs that are free to use over there. I took two of them, that seemed the most appropriate to me. You can see them in the below pictures.
A changing room and toilet are available, free of charge, to your left, as you descend the first batch of stairs.
Tips for Visiting the Tegenungan Waterfall:
- Come in the morning around 9 am or the afternoon, after 4 pm
- Avoid visiting the waterfall during and immediately following heavy rains
- Wear appropriate shoes, as the rocks are slippery
- Avoid jumping from the cliff rocks
- You should be OK going into the water in front of the waterfall for a good picture, but be careful as the water goes deeper as you get closer to the water plunge and the current is very powerful
- If you have mobility issues, do not visit the waterfall, as it has around 127 steps
HOW TO GET TO TEGENUNGAN WATERFALL
From Ubud, it’s very easy to get here, as it’s just a 15-30 minutes ride from the center of Ubud.
From Seminyak and Kuta area you have around a 1-hour drive.
From Central Canggu you have around a 1-hour drive. Go early if you want to avoid traffic.
- You can book a personal driver for the day, that will walk you everywhere you need. I paid 400K IDR (27€ or 26 USD) and my driver was at all times with me, showing me around, entering with me everywhere I went, and, taking very nice pictures for me. They go the extra mile to make you feel comfortable and deliver a bespoke service.
- Take a taxi scooter. For instance, if you need to go for a relatively short distance and spend the day there, just look for locals that propose to drive you with their scooter. I usually paid between 50K and 80K IDR (3-6 €/USD), depending on the distance. They provide you with a helmet, as it is forbidden in Bali to ride without a helmet.
- Use the Go-Jek or Grab app to book a taxi. There is a standard base fare for Bali taxis of around 0.44 €/USD (7K IDR), and an additional charge per km of around 0.47 €/USD (7.5K IDR).
- Rent a bike and ride like Julia Roberts in Eat, Pray, Love for total satisfaction.
- Book the tour on Get Your Guide HERE. Includes Bottled water, All entrance fees, Hotel pickup and drop-off, Jungle swing (if option selected), and Lunch (if option selected).
Tegenungan Waterfall Entrance Fee
I visited this magnificent waterfall in August 2022, middle of the day and it was very crowded. You don’t have to spend a lot of time here, except if you want to go to the restaurant on the left, to enjoy their magnificent pool and sip a nice cocktail while enjoying the show coming from the waterfall.
Entrance fee – 20 000 IDR (1.2€/1.7$
Parking for scooters – Free
Parking for cars – 5 000 IDR (0.3€/$)
HOW CAN YOU SPEND YOUR TIME AT TEGENUNGAN WATERFALL?
Best time to visit the TEGENUNGAN WATERFALL
Visit the waterfall early in the morning or late in the afternoon. The tourists have not yet rushed in, so it will be more peaceful and quiet for you to enjoy the sounds of birds chirping and the fresh air. Here you will have the impression that the green is even greener.
Opening hours are from 6.30 AM to 6 PM every day.
CHECK OUT THE BEST ACTIVITY TOURS IN BALI
DID YOU FIND THIS ARTICLE USEFUL?
Tell me in the comments section if you’ve been to Bali and what was your experience. If you are planning to go on solo travel to Bali ask me for some useful tips that are not in this article.
FOR MORE TRAVEL INSPIRATION, FOLLOW ME ON
DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS
HOW TO PREPARE BALINESE DISH BERKEDEL INDULGE IN THE BALINESE CUISINE Balinese cooking is a plethora of cultural influences. Balinese dishes, cooking styles, and tools for preparing food have been cultivated from other cultures. The Chinese introduced stir-frying, the […]
MUST-DO ACTIVITIES IN BALI: HIDDEN CANYON BEJI GUWANG HIDDEN GEM: 100% ADVENTURE! For me, Solo Travel equals adventure! When I am alone I decide which adventure I should pursue and which not, at my own pace. And I am a […]
HOW TO PREPARE BALINESE DISH PISANG GORENG INDULGE IN THE BALINESE CUISINE Balinese cooking is a plethora of cultural influences. Balinese dishes, cooking styles, and tools for preparing food have been cultivated from other cultures. The Chinese introduced stir-frying, […]
HOW TO PREPARE BALINESE SWEET SOUR TEMPE INDULGE IN THE BALINESE CUISINE Balinese cooking is a plethora of cultural influences. Balinese dishes, cooking styles, and tools for preparing food have been cultivated from other cultures. The Chinese introduced stir-frying, […]